Kilconnell Plaque (1)
17th-century Mural Plaque
This framed mural plaque is preserved on the internal west wall of the Guardians room at Kilconnell Friary. It is carved in relief with a small Coat of Arms in its centre for Baron Barnewall – Lord Trimleston.
The inscription reads:
HERE LYETH THE BODY OF
THE 12 LORD BARNEWALL
OF . TRIMBL ESTOWN
HT . WITH OTHERS
BY ORD RS. OF. T
HE PER . CRO
MWELL DYED AT MOINIVAE THE17 OF
SEPTEMBER 1667 FOR WHOME THIS .
MONVMENT WAS MADE BY HIS SONNE
ROBERT . BARNEWALL THE 13 LORD OF
TRIMLESTOVNE HERE LYETH ALSOE
HIS UNCKLE RICHARD BARNEWALL JAM
ES . BARNEWALL . WHOE . DYED . ATT C
OREGAN. THE 2 OCTOBER 1679 AND JAM
ES BARNEWALL OF AGHRIM GOD HAE
MERCY ON THEIR SOVLES.