Effigy of Edmond Kelly Bishop of Clonfert
This monument consists of a carved limestone plaque bearing an effigy of Bishop Edmond Kelly a former bishop of Clonfert. It is located on the internal face of the east gable of Cloonkeenkerril Third Order Franciscan friary. He holds a highly ornate crozier in his left hand while raising his right hand up with fingers extended giving the episcopal blessing. The effigy is executed in a naive or folk art style.
The inscription is inscribed on a small plaque to the left of the effigy and reads:
Here Lyeth ye Rt. Rev. Far in
God, Edmond Kelly, Dr of
Sorbonne, Formerly Dean
& Vicar Generall of ye Dioc
ess, First Almoner to ye old
Elector of Triers, Envoy to ye
Court of Vienna & late
Lord Bishop of Clonfert.
Requiescat in pace.
Kelly, D. 2006 Meadow of Miracles A History of the Diocese of Clonfert. Éditions du Signe, Strasbourg.
Mannion, J. 2004 The Life, Legends and Legacy of St Kerrill. Athlone.
Wakeman, William F. 1897 ‘Monument at Clonkeen, Co. Galway commemorating Edmond Kelly, Bishop of Clonfert’. Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland. Ser, 7, Vol. VII, p.71.
Wall, Thomas 1961 ‘Tombstone of a Penal-time Bishop of Clonfert, Dr Edmond Kelly, 1718-33’. Proceedings of the Irish Catholic Historical Committee.