This sheep branding iron bearing a capital A with decorative serifs is believed to have belonged to the Alcorns landlords near Kilcoona, Headford. Dympna Greaney’s grandfather worked for them. A James Alcorn lived on the estate until the 1920’s. The brand comprises of an iron handle with a circular loop on the end. It has a metal disc attached at the working end to which the letter A is riveted.
Information provided by Dympna Greaney, Kilcoona, Headford.