Seventeenth-century doorway in Meelick
Meelick sacristy door.
The remains of a seventeenth-century inscribed doorhead in Meelick Franciscan friary now the local parish church. The Latin lettering is damaged but it is possible by careful scrutiny to make out the date 1644. A graveyard cross of the Kilconnell type was erected here in 1645. The collar is all that survives. This doorhead is badly spalled as if it suffered fire. The inscription loosely translates as this house was built by the Friars Minor and was re-constructed in 1644. There are too many letters missing to read the full inscription.