The Aughrim baptismal font comprises of a small rectangular limestone box-like receptacle with a moulded rim. An interesting late medieval iconographical scene carved in relief on the front of the font comprises of an archer shooting at a deer. It has a well-defined rebate around its rim providing evidence that it had been lidded in the past. It is believed that ‘the hunt’ can be seen as the Christian search for truth and salvation. This particular example is preserved in the Clonfert Diocesan Museum at Loughrea (Egan 1947, 77). It probably originated at St. Catherine’s priory, the former religious house associated with the Canons Regular of St Augustine at Aughrim. As priests they would have been responsible for the cure of souls and would have ministered to the wider parish. Entries in the various volumes of the Calendar of Papal Letters inform us as to the extent of the area within which they held influence.
Add a comment about this page