Burkes of Reaghan tomb
Burke wall tomb Abbey
The John Burke of Reaghan wall tomb in the roofless side chapel of Abbey Franciscan friary is situated under the window in the south wall. The tomb comprises of a composite classically designed tomb with the Burke Coat of Arms and Crest on top. It rests on a limestone slab with a moulded edge which appears to be a reused altar top or mensa. Reaghan is a townland in Tynagh civil and modern parish.
The Burke Arms are:
Arms: Or a cross gules, in the dexter canton a lion rampant sable.
Crest: A cat-a-mountain sejant guardant proper collared and chained or.
Motto: Ung roy, ung foy, ung loy, meaning ‘one king, one faith, one law’.
The following short inscription is incised on a panel on the lower section of the tomb.
‘This monument has been Erected / By John Burke of Reaghan / Esq For him and his posterity / the year of Our Lord / 1745’
The tomb seems to have been reassembled at some stage in its history and is missing part of its entablature. This is dressed in a classical dentil ornament. A pair of Corinthian pilasters form a frame at the sides.