This ornate mural plaque bearing the Nugent Coat of Arms is located on the external face of the barbican or gate house of Pallas Castle near Tynagh, Co. Galway. The crest is a Cockatrice while the Latin motto reads De Crevi Deo et Fidelis. It bears an inscribed date that reads as: ‘ye 7th March 1719’. Pallas Towerhouse was built by the Burkes but was given by the Cromwellian government to the Nugents of Westmeath – a transplanted Catholic family.
This page was added on 20/06/2016.
Add a comment about this page